Chilled Pea & Mint Soup
Okay, so this is a nice, refreshing, summery soup.
What will you need?
- A large saucepan
- 2 litres of vegetable stock
- 1.5 kg of peas (frozen)
- 15ml EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 250g of fresh mint (shredded)
How do you make it?
- In your pan add your EVOO and lightly heat
- Add in your diced onion and stir continuously until softened
- Pour in all of your stock and bring to the boil
- Add your peas and cook until the peas are fully cooked (approx 30mins)
- Add in your mint and stir well
- With a stick/wand blender, blitz up your soup
- Once blitzed, with a fine sieve the soup into a clean saucepan
- Bring to the boil and stir well, then allow to chill
Place 2-3 ice cubes into a glass tumbler, pour or spoon in the soup and serve with a dollop of either crème fraîche or a dollop of extra thick double cream and a couple of mint leaves.
With the pulp left over from your peas, allow them to cool, and you can either place on your garden as compost or you can ball up, place in the freezer, then make pea fritters with it by submerging in beaten egg then in breadcrumbs and deep fry until golden, or you can use it to flavour a standard vegetable soup.
Home you like this summery soup!
IMAGE: Nick Harris 1