Write Here, Write Now
Calling all eleven to twenty-five year olds. Which, considering the age range CLIC aims towards, is most probably all of you.
Do you have a need? A need to share your creativity with other young people?
Well, you are in luck, as the major youth work charity Youth Cymru is running a new competition that offers young writers an opportunity to share their experience, understanding and insight in being young in Wales in this day in age.
You might have guessed it by now, but the theme of the competition is Being Young and Being in Wales. Standard.
Interested? Need more information? Well, you're in luck, here's more information.
- You can write a piece of poetry, prose, essay, fiction or non-fiction up to a limit of 500 words
- You're limited to only one entry, and any joint submissions are not allowed
- It can be typed, hand-written, painted, whichever you feel most comfortable submitting
- If you are between the ages of 11 and 25 at the qualifying date (which is the 1st of September 2011), then you can enter
- The written piece, however you write it, cannot contain language or ideas that are oppressive, abusive or discriminatory
- Entries will be accepted right up until the closing date, which is 18th May 2012
If you enter, you will be in one of three categories, which are...
- 11-13 (Secondary School Years 7, 8 and 9)
- 14-15 (Secondary School Years 10 and 11)
- 16-25 (Secondary School Years 12+)
Three from each category will be shortlisted, for a total of nine shortlisted competitors. These chosen nine will then be displayed for all to see at the Hay Festival between the 6th and 8th of June 2012, with the festival goers judging the entries and ultimately deciding the overall winner by the 9th June 2012.
Whoever wins this competition will receive a cheque for £100 as well as the Brian Taylor Award, which is an award presented in memory of former Chief Executive Brian Taylor who suddenly died a few years ago.
Well, there's your information. Still interested? I knew you would.
Just head over to the Youth Cymru website, download the entry form, send it their way and you're raring to go. Oh, and there's a document on that page for you to read more about the rules.
And remember, the closing date for this competition is 18th May 2012.